Hundreds of System Administrators were polled and asked to submit their most memorable quotes from end users.
Below, we have listed the most common (and usually stupid) quotes:
· I didn't touch a thing.
· Why can't you give me the root password?
· I want more disk space, now!
· It was working fine a minute ago.
· I typed rm -rf, but I didn't really mean to.
· How come SPARC binaries won't work on my 3/50?
· I just turned it off and on a couple of times.
· What's an alias?
· It must be a hardware problem.
· This will only take you a minute.
· Can you restore /tmp/junk from February of 87?
· X Windows isn't working on my VT100!
· I didn't realize the type of coax made any difference.
· How do I post an article to alt.sex.bondage?
· I just plugged my RS-232 port into my phone jack.
· Is the unix broken?
· My bin directory is missing!
· Someone spilled coffee on my keyboard.
· I need to be the owner of all of the files in /usr/kvm.
· How can I send mail to my friend on BITNET?
· What makes you think it is my software?
· My Mac is much easier to use.
· Why is her disk quota bigger than mine?
· What jumpers?
· I can't login to my ethernet.
· Don't you know where I put my source code?
· I need to borrow your CD-ROM for 2 months.
· Where can I find all of those GIF files?
· Honest, it just stopped working.
· But I like the old OS a lot better.
· Can you read this TK50 VMS tape onto my Sun?
· I can do it... I used to be a Systems Administrator.
· Can't this be done after I go home?
· It says, "Run fsck manually".
· I need you to reboot my floppy drive.
· What does RTFM mean?
· How hard can it be to do a simple upgrade?
· My system just crashed.
· Now how did that file get in there?
· But the vendor says this should be "Plug and play".
· This is going to cost us how much!?
· A System Administrator doesn't do hardware.
· My machine needs more memory.
· Is my monitor suppose to smoke?
· Just stay late.
· It was fine, until I moved the disk drive over to there.
· I can guarantee you that my program is flawless.